Weddings at St. Mary’s and St. Joseph’s
CONGRATULATIONS AND BEST WISHES!
As bride and groom-to-be, you are beginning one of the most exciting journeys in your lives. Your marriage liturgy at St. Mary’s and St. Joseph’s Catholic Churches will be your point of departure for this journey. In order to help make this a memorable occasion for you, your families, and your guests, this information will assist you in understanding about and selecting music that will create an atmosphere that reflects the sacrament as a celebration, uniting God and you in a new relationship. A printed list of guidelines may be obtained here: Wedding Guidelines St. Mary’s Rules for Weddings
MUSIC AND ITS ROLE IN THE WEDDING LITURGY
The Marriage Rite is a liturgical celebration, a sacrament of the church. As in any liturgical setting (i.e., Mass), the music is to be chosen with care and discrimination. Since in the liturgy the assembled people of God join with the bride and groom in asking God’s involvement and blessing as a new home is established, the music should accentuate the reverence of the liturgy.
The texts and music should contribute to the worship atmosphere of the service. The selections should be of a musical quality. The texts should correspond to the themes which are inherent in a Christian marriage liturgy (e.g., God’s love for the church displayed through Christ,) forming the foundation for the love a man and woman share; God’s involvement and blessing petitioned for the marriage; the praise of God necessarily expressed when Christians rejoice.
For that reason, operatic selections, art songs, along with popular and theatrical love songs, are inappropriate. While they are being used frequently in marriage services, their texts extol romanticized or secular ideas about love and marriage and, therefore, detract from the worship of God.
ARRANGEMENTS FOR MUSIC AT YOUR WEDDING
St. Mary’s is fortunate to have three organists, one of whom will be available to play for your wedding, barring any previously scheduled conflicts. You may reach the Wedding Coordinator, Sue Langston, at the Church (936-894-2223), at home (979-268-6886), or via email (email@example.com) to make initial arrangements concerning your music. You may also submit any questions or concerns via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Should you prefer to use your own organist, it will be considered as a possibility. Additionally, it will be necessary to speak with the organist whom you will be using about their experience, as well as discussing our instruments and practice availability. The Wedding Coordinator will make this determination. You are responsible for providing a list of the proposed music a minimum of three (3) weeks prior to the wedding.
CANTORS, VOCAL – INSTRUMENTAL SOLOISTS, CHOIRS
Whether you will be having a Simple Service or Mass, the cantor/soloist has an important role. All of our weddings have a cantor present. A cantor will be scheduled for your wedding.
NOTE: If you will be making your own arrangements for a soloist, here are additional responsibilities:
1) Providing a list of the music you have chosen for the approval of the Music Director.
2) Having original copies available in the key they will be performed
3) Being prepared well enough that we will only need to practice each selection one time prior to the wedding to determine tempos and other things which will enhance the music
It has become more common for couples to request our Parish Choir or Bell Ensemble for the wedding. The Parish Choir has participated in numerous weddings — adding a particularly festive touch! Depending upon when your wedding is scheduled, arrangements can be made to have a balanced schola present. This is part of the music ministry fund raising efforts.
COMPENSATION AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The fees for the music are as follows. These fees cover the consultation and professional services the day of your wedding and should be paid in cash either at or prior to the rehearsal:
Parish Choir or Bell Ensemble – $250.00
Organist – $275.00
Cantor – $75.00
Wedding Coordinator – $150.00
Instrumentalists (flute, violin, etc.) – $100.00 approximately (per instrumentalist)
Sacristan (If you are having a full Mass with a visiting priest) – $150.00
A rehearsal with singers/instrumentalists one hour prior to the wedding is included in the regular fee for the Organist. If your singer/instrumentalist desire additional rehearsals, the fee per rehearsal is $75.00.
1) St. Mary’s and St. Joseph’s Church follows all musical and liturgical guidelines set by the Diocese of Galveston-Houston.
2) Usage of pre-recorded tapes or CDs is not permitted whether for music during seating of guests, processionals/recessionals, or to accompany any vocalist. This in keeping with the musical and liturgical guidelines set by the Diocese of Galveston-Houston.
3) The Lord’s Prayer is never sung during the Liturgy so that every person present can participate. If you feel it is necessary to have a solo version performed (such as the Malotte setting), this can be included in the music selected for the seating of your guests prior to the liturgy.
4) The music used prior to and during the Service/Mass must be the same in nature as that which would be used in any Mass. Additionally, the songs must be in keeping with Catholic theology. Secular songs are to be used during the reception.
5) You are not limited to the selections that appear here. Should you prefer something else, please feel free to make this preference known to the Wedding Coordinator. However, you will need to obtain such if it is not in the Church’s music library.
SELECTING MUSIC FOR YOUR WEDDING
The following music needs to be selected for a SIMPLE SERVICE:
GATHERING HYMN (Optional)
The following music needs to be selected for a MASS:
GATHERING HYMN (Optional)
Additional vocal/instrumental music may be used in the following places:
– During the seating of guests/relatives (Simple Service, Mass)
– Meditation (Mass)
– Taking flowers to the Blessed Mother statue [i.e., Ave Maria] (Simple Service, Mass)
The Solos are offered as examples of additional programming. You are not limited to these choices. They have been put together from popular choices over the years.
Processionals for the Bride and Bridesmaids (click on the title to hear the selection) :
The Prince of Denmark’s March by Clarke
Air from Water Music Suite by Handel
Air for the G String by Bach
Andante by Handel
Canon in D by Pachelbel
Crown Imperial by Walton
St. Anthony Chorale by Brahms
Largo from Four Seasons by Vivaldi
Procession by Callahan
Rondeau by Mouret
Trumpet Tune in D Major by Clarke
Trumpet Tune in D Major by Johnson
Trumpet Voluntary by Stanley
Voluntary in B flat Major by Stanley
Jesu, Joy of Man’s Desiring by J.S. Bach
Ave Maria by Schubert
Ave Maria by Bach/Gounod
Panis Angelicus by Caesar Franck
Questions? Please contact:
Director of Music and Wedding Coordinator
Mailing address: St. Mary’s Catholic Church
P O Box 388, Plantersville, TX 77363
Church Office: (936)894-2223
Church fax: (936)894-3613